Journey to the Imaginal Realm: Reading J. R. R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings
An Online, Interactive Class
with Dr Becca S. Tarnas
Seven Sessions •Starts Monday, September 24
The Lord of the Rings is a text treated by many as a sacred text, one to be returned to year after year, or read aloud with loved ones. The Lord of the Rings, for many, has become a myth for our time. This course offers a journey through Tolkien’s magnum opus in a community of learning, guided by a scholar who has spent more than two decades engaging Tolkien’s writings and artwork. This course is designed both for newcomers to Tolkien’s narrative, and for veteran travelers through Middle-earth’s many realms. Together we will explore the grand themes and hidden nuances of Tolkien’s epic story, connecting The Lord of the Rings to the larger mythology of Middle-earth, and situating Tolkien’s process of writing within his own powerful experiences of the imaginal realm.
What You Receive:
- Six pre-recorded audio lectures with Dr Tarnas
- Seven live, interactive video Q&A sessions following the readings and hosted on Zoom Meetings.
- Audio recordings of each Q&A for easy listening. Yours to keep.
- A Class Syllabus.
- Access to a Class Portal, where class recordings and materials are hosted.
- Connection with a vibrant community of avid readers, Tolkien fans, and explorers of the imagination.